You can delete a GarageBand project on your Mac by locating the file folder in the Finder and then moving it to the trash. You can delete a GarageBand project on your iPhone by long pressing the project icon and then choosing delete.
My name is Donovan, and I’ve been making music in one way or another for most of my life. I know through first-hand experience how to delete GarageBand projects on my Mac and iPhone because I’ve done this many times.
This post will show you how to delete GarageBand projects. I’ll walk you through the steps to delete projects on your Mac and mobile devices because the process is slightly different for the macOS and iOS versions of the app.
Let’s jump into it.
- Key Takeaways
- Where are your GarageBand projects stored?
- How to Delete GarageBand Projects on Mac
- How to Delete GarageBand Projects on iPhone
- Final Thoughts
- You need to delete GarageBand projects on your Mac from the file folder where your projects are stored and not from within the app itself.
- The process for deleting projects on your iPhone or iPad is different than how you delete on your Mac.
- Be careful only to delete projects that you are sure you want to get rid of.
Where are your GarageBand projects stored?
In order to delete your GarageBand projects on your Mac, you need to know where the projects are stored in the first place. GarageBand files are automatically stored in the Music folder on your hard drive unless you’ve moved the save location previously.
To access this folder, you can select Go from the main menu of your Finder. Then select Home > Music > GarageBand.
This is the location where GarageBand automatically saves all of the projects you’ve created in the app unless you choose a different place when you save.
You can choose a different location for your GarageBand projects by choosing Save As in the File menu. Select whatever location on your Mac you want to save GarageBand projects from there. You can also create a new folder for this before clicking Save As.
How to Delete GarageBand Projects on Mac
Deleting GarageBand projects on your Mac is a little more complicated than you might guess because you can’t technically delete projects from directly within the app. You need to locate where the files are stored, as described in the steps above.
This means you don’t need to open up GarageBand or the specific project you want deleted to get rid of the files.
To delete GarageBand projects on your Mac, follow these steps:
1. Locate where your GarageBand files are stored on your Mac. Follow the steps mentioned in the section above or access the files in another folder or location you have set up.
2. Find the folder or file of the project or projects you want to delete.
3. Control-click the file and select Move to Trash from the menu that pops up. Or you can click and drag the file directly into the trash.
4. Open up your Trash bin and click Empty to remove the project files permanently. Remember that you won’t be able to access the projects any longer once you empty the trash.
Quick Tip: If you send folders of any kind to the trash and don’t empty the bin right away, you can restore these back to the hard drive. This is good to know if you accidentally delete a project that you didn’t mean to or change your mind.
5. Repeat the steps for any other projects that you want to delete from your Mac. You can select multiple project files or folders at the same time by holding down the Shift key and selecting several items.
How to Delete GarageBand Projects on iPhone
If you use the iOS version of GarageBand on your iPhone, the process for deleting projects is a bit different than deleting them on your Mac. You can delete the projects within the app itself and don’t need to locate the files on your phone.
To delete GarageBand projects on your iPhone, follow these steps:
1. Open the GarageBand app on your iPhone.
2. If the app opens up a current project you’ve been working on, tap the Projects tab in the upper-left corner of the window.
3. Then tap My Songs.
3. This will take you to the Recent Projects window, where you will see all of the GarageBand projects you have saved on your iPhone.
GarageBand might automatically bring you to the recent projects window if you haven’t been working on a project recently. If so, disregard the steps above and continue to delete your projects following the remaining steps below.
4. Long press the file icon of the project you want to delete. Long press just means to tap and hold the icon rather than a quick tap to open it. A menu will pop up with several options to choose from.
5. Scroll down if necessary and select Delete from the available options. This will delete the project.
6. Repeat the steps for any other projects you want to get rid of.
How to delete GarageBand files on iPad
The process for deleting GarageBand files on an iPad is the same as on an iPhone since both of these devices run the iOS version of the app. Follow all of the steps in the section above, and you’ll be able to delete any or all of your GarageBand files on your iPad.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions relating to how to delete GarageBand projects.
How do I delete all of my projects on GarageBand?
To delete all of your GarageBand projects, you’ll need to follow all the steps for deleting files on your Mac or iPhone. You can select multiple files on your Mac or delete the entire saved folder to get rid of all your projects. You need to delete projects individually on your iPhone.
How do I delete songs on GarageBand?
Deleting songs on GarageBand is the same as deleting projects. You need to locate the file folder of the songs on your Mac and move them to the trash. Or you select the song you want to delete in the app on your iPhone and delete it from there.
How do I delete data from GarageBand?
You can delete other data from GarageBand that isn’t technically your projects, including software instruments and loops. You need to find the location on your Mac where this data is located and then send it or drag it into the trash to do so.
How do I change the save location in GarageBand?
You can change the save location in GarageBand for your Mac by selecting the Save As option from the File menu. A window will appear that lets you choose the location to save the project wherever you want to on your computer.
If you have enough storage space on your Mac or iPhone, I think it’s a good idea to store all of the songs you create. You never know when you might want to look back on older material to see if there are any good sections you might be able to reuse or work on.
But if you do want to delete GarageBand projects for whatever reason, the process is simple and straightforward. Remember that you can’t delete projects directly from the app on your Mac, but you can on your iPhone.
Do you save all of your GarageBand projects or delete the ones you don’t like or aren’t going to use? Have you ever accidentally deleted a project you actually wanted? Let me know in the comments below.