You can listen to podcasts on Sonos by accessing them directly within the Sonos app, using AirPlay to play them from an iOS or macOS device, or playing them through a connected streaming app like Spotify.
My name is Donovan, and I’m an audio enthusiast, musician, and producer. I’m also a big fan of podcasts and have set up several Sonos sound systems recently. I know through first-hand experience how to connect various podcast platforms to Sonos.
This post will show you how to listen to podcasts on Sonos. I’ll highlight several different ways to access podcasts on your Sonos system and provide step-by-step instructions on how to do this where applicable.
Let’s get to it.
- Key Takeaways
- How to Listen to Podcasts on Sonos
- Final Thoughts
- You can use the Sonos app to access podcasts directly or can download podcasts from other locations to your Sonos library.
- If you have an iPhone or Mac, you can use AirPlay to play podcasts on Sonos from the Podcasts app on your Apple device.
- You can also add and connect the most popular streaming services, such as Spotify, to Sonos and play podcasts from there.
- There are a handful of direct control services that let you play podcasts directly from that app to Sonos. Some of these include Spotify, TIDAL, Audible, Pandora, and iHeartRadio.
How to Listen to Podcasts on Sonos
Podcasts are great and have been a steady source of information for me and many others. I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned over the last five years listening to podcasts alone. I like to refer to them as YouTube for your ears.
Whether you like to listen to podcasts to absorb knowledge or just for entertainment, doing this on your Sonos is an excellent way to take advantage of the convenience the system offers. And it’s pretty straightforward to get podcast listening set up.
There are a few different ways to go about listening to podcasts on Sonos. I’ll walk you through all of them here, so you can choose which works best for your situation and setup. All of them are easy, but the process is slightly different, depending on your device.
How to Listen to Podcasts in Sonos App
Using the Sonos app is one of the most straightforward ways to listen to podcasts. Since you need the app to operate your Sonos system, everyone reading this post can listen to podcasts this way.
Several services in the Sonos app let you listen to podcasts without needing another app or service. And these are already synced up with Sonos so that you can search or browse directly in the Sonos app for them.
If you know the exact podcast you are looking for, you can use the Search feature in the Sonos app to find it by following the steps below:
- 1. Launch the Sonos app.
- 2. Tap Browse.
- 3. Tap the service that has the podcast you want to listen to and browse until you find it.
- 4. Tap the podcast you want to listen to and enjoy.
If you want to search all of the podcasts that are currently available within the Sonos app, follow these steps:
- 1. Launch the Sonos app.
- 2. Tap Search from the main app page.
- 3. Tap Podcasts & Shows to filter out all other content and see podcasts.
- 4. Search or browse for the podcast you want to listen to.
- 5. Choose your podcast and enjoy.
How to Listen to Podcasts on Sonos from iPhone or Mac
If you have an iPhone or Mac, it’s even easier to enjoy all of your favorite podcasts. Sonos is compatible with Apple’s AirPlay feature, which allows you to sync and stream content quickly without many extra steps.
Before diving into this one, it’s important to note that AirPlay is not supported on all Apple devices. If you have an older iPhone or Mac, you should check for compatibility before attempting any of the steps I outline here.
Follow these steps to play podcasts on an iPhone or iPad using AirPlay with Sonos:
- 1. Open the Control Center on your device by swiping down from the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- 2. Locate the audio card from your Control Pad and then tap the AirPlay icon.
- 3. Tap the Sonos icon or product you want to play your podcasts on.
- 4. Play the podcast you want to listen to from the Podcasts app or other streaming device on your iPhone or iPad.
Follow these steps to play podcasts on your Mac using AirPlay with Sonos:
- 1. Open the Finder.
- 2. Click on Applications.
- 3. Double-click on System Preferences.
- 4. Click on the Output tab.
- 5. Select the Sonos product or speaker you want to begin and AirPlay stream with.
Quick Tip: You can’t use AirPlay for Sonos systems with surround sound. I’m not sure why that doesn’t work, but Sonos has yet to make its surround sound speakers compatible with AirPlay streams.
How to Listen to Podcasts on Sonos with Direct Control
If you aren’t an Apple user, you can still easily listen to podcasts on Sonos by using direct control services. These services are commonly used streaming services that can be integrated with the Sonos app.
Once you have the direct control services added to your Sonos app, you can play podcasts directly from them and listen through your Sonos system. This will work with any device you can download the Sonos app on.
Follow these steps to listen to podcasts on Sonos with direct control:
1. Open the Sonos app.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Services & Voice.
4. Tap Music & Content.
5. Tap Add a Service.
6. Choose one of the direct control services you want to add to Sonos.
7. Follow any more instructions for adding the service you see in the app.
8. Play podcasts directly from the app you just added, and it will play on Sonos.
Here is a list of the available direct control services that you can use to listen to podcasts on Sonos:
- Amazon Music
Quick Tip: You need to have an active account with most of these services to access content from them within the Sonos app. Get that set up before attempting these steps, as you’ll be asked to log into your account within the Sonos app.
How to Listen to Podcasts on Sonos from Music Library
You can also listen to podcasts on Sonos by adding your music library from a computer or other device to the Sonos app. This takes a little more time at first, but once you have the podcasts or music stored, it’s very easy to access in the future.
This is mainly for people with a lot of music or podcasts saved onto their computers. I know that most of you reading this probably stream your podcasts, but it’s still good to know how to do things a little more old-school.
Follow these steps to add your music library to Sonos and listen to podcasts:
1. Open the Sonos app on your computer.
2. Click on the Manage menu.
3. Select Music Library Settings.
4. Locate your music library. This could be in a music folder or iTunes library if you are a Mac user.
5. Select the podcasts, music, or content you want to add to your Sonos music library.
6. Click on the + icon if on Mac or Add on Windows.
7. Follow any additional in-app instructions as prompted to transfer your library to the Sonos app. Note that this can take several minutes, depending on how much data you transfer.
8. Open the Sonos app to find your podcasts and enjoy.
Here are a few quick answers to some of the most commonly asked questions related to how to listen to podcasts on Sonos.
Can you listen to Apple podcasts through Sonos?
There are several ways you can listen to Apple podcasts through Sonos. Using AirPlay to stream podcasts directly from your Apple device to Sonos is the easiest. This allows you to quickly connect to your system and control podcasts directly from your iPhone or Mac.
Which podcast app works with Sonos?
You can use several different streaming services directly with Sonos, and these are known as direct control apps. They include Spotify, TIDAL, iHeatRadio, Pandora, Audible, Amazon Music, and IDAGIO. Other podcast apps don’t directly sync with Sonos.
How do I play podcasts from my iPhone to Sonos?
Playing podcasts from your iPhone to Sonos is really easy. You can either use AirPlay to connect directly to your Sonos system and play from the Podcasts app or you can connect a direct control service, such as Spotify, and play podcasts from there.
How do I play Spotify podcasts to Sonos?
Spotify is a direct control service with Sonos, meaning you can play podcasts directly from the Spotify app and it will connect to Sonos. You need to add Spotify as a music service in the Sonos app before this will work.
Can you stream phone audio to Sonos?
You can stream phone audio to Sonos in a few ways. If you have an iPhone, you can use AirPlay to stream directly to a supported Sonos speaker. Or you can use Bluetooth to stream audio from an Android phone.
Listening to podcasts on Sonos is a breeze, and you can make it happen in several ways. The easiest ways are to go directly to the Sonos app and play podcasts from there or use AirPlay if you have an iPhone or Mac.
Remember that you can add your entire music library to Sonos from your computer if you want to. This can take some time at first, but once you have the content added, you can access it at any point for quick and easy listening.
What’s your favorite podcast and why? Let me know in the comments below.