You can connect a pair of JBL wireless headphones to a computer like any other Bluetooth device, by pressing the pair button on the headphones. Then you select the headphones from the Bluetooth menu on your computer.
My name is Donovan, and I’m a producer, musician, and all-around audiophile. I’ve used many different types of headphones over the years and am familiar with several JBL models. I know through first-hand experience how to connect these to a computer.
This post will show you how to connect JBL headphones to a computer. I’ll walk you through the simple steps of connecting JBL wireless headphones to a computer and also tell you how to connect more traditional wired headphones.
Let’s get after it.
- Key Takeaways
- How to Connect JBL Headphones to Computer
- Why Can’t I Connect JBL Headphones to Computer?
- Final Thoughts
- Wireless JBL headphones can be quickly connected to a computer by pressing the pair or Bluetooth button on the headphones and then choosing them from the Bluetooth settings on your computer.
- Wired JBL headphones can simply plug into your computer, but you might need an adapter if you don’t have the proper input for your particular computer.
- The Bluetooth connection process can vary depending on which type of computer you have, but it’s straightforward with all of them.
- Some earbuds-style JBL headphones don’t have a dedicated Bluetooth button, but you can still easily pair these with your computer.
How to Connect JBL Headphones to Computer
Connecting JBL headphones to your computer is super simple, whether you use wireless or wired models. If you have ever connected Bluetooth devices to your computer, the process is the same for wireless JBL headphones.
Depending on what type of computer you have, there will be slightly different pairing instructions. But no matter if you are using a Mac or PC, you can easily connect your JBL headphones.
I’ll provide step-by-step directions for connecting your JBL wireless headphones to a Mac or PC here. I’ll also give you some tips on connecting wired JBL headphones which don’t involve computer-specific things to keep in mind.
How to Connect Wireless JBL Headphones to a Mac
Connecting a set of wireless JBL headphones to a Mac is simple. If you are already familiar with connecting other Bluetooth devices to your Mac, the process to connect these headphones is the same. And the steps you’ll find below apply to any Mac computer running macOS.
Follow these steps to connect wireless JBL headphones to a Mac:
1. Make sure that your JBL wireless headphones are charged. If they don’t have enough charge, you won’t be able to connect them to your Mac. Plug them in and wait until they are charged if necessary.
2. Turn on your Mac and ensure the Bluetooth feature is on. You can access the Bluetooth settings from the System Settings app within the applications folder from the Finder. Turn the slider to the On position if necessary, as shown in the screenshot below.
3. Power on your JBL wireless headphones.
4. Press the pairing or Bluetooth button on your headphones. Most JBL over-ear headphones have a dedicated Bluetooth button. Some earbuds style headphones have a pairing button between the volume-up and volume-down buttons.
Pressing the Bluetooth button will make your headphones go into pairing mode, which means they can connect to Bluetooth devices within range.
5. Go back into the Bluetooth settings on your Mac and select the headphones from the list of available devices. Your headphones will be named JBL Headphones and might have the model number or other information.
6. Your headphones should now be connected to your Mac. Play some audio from your computer to ensure that the Bluetooth pairing was successful.
This process for connecting to a Mac is the same for any type of JBL wireless headphones you have, whether they are over-ear or earbuds-style.
Quick Tip: If you can’t find your JBL headphones on your Mac, make sure to check whether they have already been connected to another device (such as your phone). If yes, you’ll need to disconnect from your other device first, and then pair with your Mac again.
How to Connect Wireless JBL Headphones to a PC (Windows)
Connecting JBL wireless headphones to a PC is also simple, but the process varies slightly from the section above because of the two different operating systems. But you can connect JBL headphones just like any other Bluetooth device.
Follow these steps to connect wireless JBL headphones to a PC:
1. Make sure your JBL headphones are charged and within range of your computer.
2. Turn on your PC.
3. Power on your JBL headphones.
4. Click on the main Windows button.
5. Open the Settings app.
6. Select Devices.
7. Select Bluetooth and Other Devices. Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on here, or else you won’t be able to connect your headphones.
8. Press the Bluetooth or pairing button on your JBL headphones. Most JBL over-ear headphones have a dedicated Bluetooth button. JBL earbuds-style headphones have a pairing button between the volume up and volume down buttons.
9. Click the + symbol in the Bluetooth menu on your PC.
10. Select your headphones from the list of available devices. They will probably be marked as JBL Headphones with the model name included or some other easily identifiable information.
11. Your JBL wireless headphones should now be connected to your PC. Play some audio to check for a proper connection.
How to Connect Wired JBL Headphones to a Computer
If you have a set of wired JBL headphones, you obviously won’t be using a Bluetooth connection to pair them with a computer. Wired headphones are becoming less popular, but many people still use them.
Connecting wired JBL headphones to a computer is as simple as plugging them into the proper input on your computer. This is typically a ⅛-inch input, also known as an aux input. Once your headphones are plugged in, you should be all set.
With the rise in popularity of wireless headphones, computer manufacturers have gotten rid of the aux input on some models. Your computer might not have the necessary input to plug your JBL headphones or any other headphones in.
You can get around this by getting some type of adapter that allows you to plug into whatever inputs you do have on your computer. One example of this would be a ⅛-inch to USB-C adapter.
But you need to get whatever adapter allows you to connect to your specific computer. Many different types of adapters are available online, so just do a quick search to figure out what adapter you need.
Why Can’t I Connect JBL Headphones to Computer?
You might encounter several problems when you try to connect your JBL headphones to your computer. Usually, these are easy to troubleshoot, so look through this section to help you get your headphones up and running again.
1. Make Sure Bluetooth Function is Turned On
The first thing that some people run into when trying to connect wireless headphones to a computer is that the Bluetooth function on their computer is turned off. You need to turn this on from the Bluetooth settings on your computer to pair the two.
2. Headphones Too Far Away From Computer
If your headphones are too far away from your computer, you’ll also have trouble getting them to connect. You should attempt to pair your headphones when you are standing relatively close to your computer.
Keep in mind that Bluetooth has a limited range, and if you go into another room, the walls might interrupt that connection.
3. Headphones Aren’t Charged
Another common cause for your JBL headphones not connecting to your computer is that they aren’t charged. You need to have enough charge to establish a connection, so plug your headphones in and try again if you are having issues.
4. Bluetooth Interference Issues
If you have multiple Bluetooth devices in the same room as your computer, it might cause issues with one or both of them connecting. The computer might bounce back and forth between known devices, which can cause problems.
Turn off any other phones, headphones, or other devices with Bluetooth that you don’t want connecting to your computer to solve this problem. If your headphones are the only Bluetooth device, you should have issues.
5. A Bug or Glitch
Sometimes you might encounter connectivity issues because of a bug or glitch with your JBL headphones or computer. These issues can appear out of nowhere and cause problems that might not have an obvious fix.
A quick reset of your headphones and/or computer should fix this. Many JBL headphones can be reset by simultaneously holding the volume-up and volume-down buttons until they power down and restart.
6. Software/Firmware Issues
If you haven’t updated your computer’s software in a while, that can also cause Bluetooth connectivity issues. Check to see if you are due for an update, and then download the new software and attempt to pair again.
Along those same lines, you might need to update the firmware on your headphones occasionally. You can do this by following any instructions included with your headphones or by visiting the JBL website and searching for firmware updates.
Here are a few short answers to some of the most commonly asked questions related to how to connect JBL headphones to a computer.
How do I put JBL headphones in pairing mode?
Most over-ear JBL wireless headphones have a dedicated Bluetooth or pairing button. You just need to press that button to put the headphones into pairing mode. JBL earbuds-style headphones have a pairing button between the volume buttons.
How do I connect JBL earphones to my laptop?
JBL wireless earphones can connect to your laptop using Bluetooth connections. Just press the Bluetooth button on the earphones and then select them from the list of available devices on your laptop. You can plug wired JBL earphones directly into a laptop.
Why is JBL Bluetooth not connecting?
Make sure that you have your JBL wireless headphones charged up and the Bluetooth feature turned on on your source device. Those are two common reasons why your JBL might not be connecting to your computer or other audio device.
Why are my JBL headphones not discoverable?
You need to press the Bluetooth or pairing button on your JBL headphones to make them discoverable by a Bluetooth-enabled source device. You should also ensure that your headphones have a solid charge, or else they won’t show up.
How do I reset my JBL Bluetooth headphones?
You can reset your JBL Bluetooth headphones by holding the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time for a few seconds. The headphones should power down and then come back on. A reset can iron out any issues you are having with the headphones.
Connecting JBL headphones to a computer is easy, and you should be able to make it happen in a matter of seconds by following the instructions in this post. Remember that you need to have your headphones charged and the Bluetooth feature turned on to pair them.
I prefer wired headphones to wireless options because of the improved audio quality. If you are trying to connect JBL headphones to your computer for recording or mixing purposes, I recommend using a wired model. Just be sure you get the proper adapters to connect!
What type of JBL headphones do you have? Did you have any issues connecting them to a computer? Let me know in the comments below.